by Jen Cherewaty RAc, RTCMP (Acupuncturist, Herbal Alchemist and Food Lover)
My Son Finn
Several months ago my 5 year old son Finn was getting extensive yellow flakes on his scalp and behind his ears. Additionally, his stools were weird (more loose than normal) and he had dark circles under his eyes. I had a feeling that all his symptoms were related to food allergies, so I finally did a Food Safe (blood spot) Allergy Test and sure enough high sensitivity to eggs and all grains except oats, corn and buckwheat.
I eliminated all the foods that scored in the high sensitivity area and started him on a “gut healing protocol” and within 1 week the yellow flakes were gone, he stools went back to normal and his dark circles under his eyes disappeared. I was convinced.
Immunology 101~Food Allergy or Sensitivity?
The results from the Food Safe test provide information about your immune system and whether it is in conflict with various components of your diet. In any food reaction, the immune system reacts by releasing cells called antibodies. Two types of antibodies are produced in response to foods;
1. IgE (immunoglobulin E)
Food allergy is an immediate reaction within minutes of eating a reactive food (many peanut and shellfish allergies are common IgE reactions. See an specialist if you have serious food reactions.
2. IgG (Immunoglobulin G)
Food sensitivity reactions take hours or days to develop. In these reactions, the IgG antibodies attach themselves to the food particles. These complexes are normally removed by macrophages. If there are a many of these complexes and you are still eating the food, the macrophages just can’t remove all the complexes. They accumulate and are deposited in body tissues creating inflammation and many symptoms or diseases.
Got Any of the Following?….Common Symptoms of Food Sensitivity
- joint pain
- muscle pain, stiffness or swelling
- chronic low back pain
- recurrent bladder infections
- frequent cold or flus (URI~upper respiratory tract infections)
- chronic headaches
- fatigue, fever, feeling weak, chills, sweating
- skin issues (itching, redness, swelling, rashes, eczema, hives, psoriasis, canker sores)
- digestive (heartburn, indigestion, bloating, diarrhea, ulcerative collitus, irritable bowels)
Easy Peasy…A Little Squeezy
Testing is done with a blood sample to determine food sensitivities by the ELISA method.
1. Food Safe Bloodspot Test is a finger prick we can do at the clinic or send you in the mail and you can do it yourself. It tests 95 of the most common food that folks are sensitive too.
2. Blood Draw is a more comprehensive test that your Naturopath can do in clinic. It tests more foods and several spices.
1. Eliminate Foods that Are in the High Category (3-9 months)
2. Eat Foods in the Moderate Category only 1X Every 4 days
3. Nutritional supplements like fish oils reduce inflammation. L-Glutamine, Slippery Elm, Licorice and Chinese Herb combinations like Golden Flower Pulsatilla Intestinal Formula assist macrophages in breakdown and heal the lining of the intestinal tract.
4. Acupuncture can boost digestion, reduce inflammation and address specific symptoms you may be having in relation to your food sensitivities.
Do you have any food sensitivities and if so what helped you eliminate those foods from your diet.? Did you find it improved your health?
Share & Share
Did you like this article if so, leave a comment below and share, share, share with those who you think could benefit. Thanks so much!